OREGON'S FIRST NATIONAL HISTORIC DISTRICT
Aurora was Oregon’s first National Historic District and dates back to 1856 when Wilhelm Keil brought his followers over the Oregon Trail from Missouri. Keil founded a Christian utopian society where the property was owned jointly, the “colony” flourished and eventually totaled 18,000 acres with a New England-looking village, nearly all in white, surrounded by abundant farmlands. The buildings are not typical of what one usually finds in the West in any quantity. The history and artifacts of the Aurora Colony have been preserved and are on display at the Old Aurora Colony Museum located in the center of the historic downtown area.
W. Keil Store (Now Aurora Antiques)
Today many of the historic buildings are filled with antique and specialty shops. The town is an international destination for antiques and vintage goods as well as a source for interior designers and movie and television producers. From furniture to jewelry, pottery to architectural salvage, books to records, vintage home decorations to old tools, Aurora has a huge selection of authentic and unusual finds!